email@example.comIn April 1996, the members of Margo Power's shortmystery-l digest voted to become the Short Mystery Fiction Society (SMFS). While not a change of official standing, it spoke to our goal of better representing mystery & crime stories in the public eye.
Anyone can join the SMFS by free subscription to this groups.io Group. All applicants are approved except during January 1 to May 1 during the Derringer process, when no new members can be added.
Members take part in any SMFS activity they wish, to the extent they wish. Membership only lapses if one unsubs or is banned from this Groups.Io Group.
Each January, members or mystery/crime publishers enter their favorite traditionally-published stories of the past year in our Derringer Awards. February-April, members judge & vote to honor one story up to 1,000 words; one 1,001-4,000; one 4,001-8,000; and one 8,001-20,000. These winners are announced May 1 along w/ a living writer chosen by 5-member exec panel to receive our Edward D. Hoch Memorial Golden Derringer for Lifetime Achievement.
- 610 Members
- 2,886 Topics, Last Post:
- Started on
Group Email Addresses
- All members can post to the group.
- Posts to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Posts from new users require approval from the moderators.
- Messages are set to reply to group.
- Subscriptions to this group require approval from the moderators.
- Archive is visible to members only.
- Wiki is visible to members only.
- Members can edit their messages.
- Members can set their subscriptions to no email.